Hiking shorts are perfect for any kind of outdoor activity. They offer comfort, style, and durability which makes them the best choice when it comes to picking your hiking shorts. There are many different brands available on the market so choosing can be difficult. This article will give you a step-by-step guide that will help you find the perfect pair of hiking shorts for your next hike.
What are Hiking Shorts?
Hiking shorts are a specific type of short that is worn during outdoor activities. They can be casual or professional and made from many different materials such as cotton, nylon, polyester, etc. These shorts are not only ideal for hiking but can also be worn while doing other outdoor activities such as biking, climbing, and jogging.
5 Benefits of Hiking Shorts
- Weight: Weight is a great benefit of hiking shorts. They are typically made from lightweight and breathable material which will help keep you cool during your hike and make them less heavy than most hiking pants.
- Comfort: Comfort is another great benefit of wearing the best hiking shorts. They are designed for all-day comfort which will allow you to hike for longer periods of time without getting tired.
- Versatility: Another great benefit of hiking shorts is their versatility. They are designed for many different activities so you can wear them whether you plan on going to the gym, hiking/camping, or just going out with friends.
- Weather: Hiking shorts are designed for all types of weather so they can be worn all year long. Whether you plan on hiking in the summer, fall/spring, or winter; shorts are designed to protect your legs from any type of weather.
- Ventilation: Hiking shorts offer great ventilation which will allow your legs to stay cool and dry during a hike.
Types of Hiking Shorts
There are many different types of hiking shorts to choose from. You can find casual, professional, and cargo styles among others. When choosing the best style you will want something that is durable but also comfortable for your hike.
- Minimal Hiking Shorts: Minimal hiking shorts are ideal for casual outdoor activities. They are typically made from lightweight material that dries quickly which is perfect if you plan on being active.
- Casual Hiking Shorts: Casual hiking shorts are typically made from cotton or nylon and feature a regular fit. You can get them in different lengths and colors.
- Professional Hiking Shorts: Professional hiking shorts are ideal for longer hikes since they are made from durable material that is also lightweight. They are designed in a way that will help you move freely during your hike without sacrificing style or comfort.
- Cargo Hiking Shorts: Cargo hiking shorts are ideal for longer hikes. They usually have multiple pockets that allow you to store small items such as a map, water bottle, or energy bar.
- Running Shorts: Running shorts are a type of short that is made from lightweight material and designed to be worn while running. They feature a regular fit with a drawstring waistband.
When choosing the best material for your hiking shorts you will want to consider how long and fast of a hike you plan on doing.
- Nylon: Nylon is a lightweight material that dries quickly which makes it the best choice if you plan on doing a shorter hike. It is very durable and can handle any kind of weather which is perfect for any outdoor activity.
- Cotton: Cotton is a great choice if you plan on doing an overnight or longer hike. It is very comfortable and lightweight which will help keep your legs cool during your hike.
- Denim: Denim is usually worn as casual shorts or workwear. However, if you plan on doing a longer hike it can be very durable and is perfect for colder weather.
- Spandex: Spandex is a lightweight material that keeps you dry and cool. It can handle both hot and cold weather which makes it the best choice if you plan on doing a longer hike.
- Polyester: Polyester is an ideal material if you plan on doing a longer or faster hike. It is extremely lightweight, dries quickly, and offers comfort.
Fabric to avoid: Avoid thick fabrics that are not lightweight or breathable. Heavy materials will not only be uncomfortable but will also cause you to overheat during your hike.
When choosing the best hiking shorts for yourself comfort is an important factor to consider. You want something that is both durable and comfortable since you will be on the go for a long period of time. You will want your shorts to be made from a lightweight material that dries quickly and offers comfort.
When choosing the best length you want to consider both your height and weight. You also need to think about what kind of hike you are doing since you will want to choose a length that is functional. If you are on the shorter side it may be best for you to go with shorts that end above your knee. If you are around average height it may be best for you to go with shorts that end above or below the knee. If you are tall it may be best for you to go with shorts that fall just below the knee.
There are many different types of fits when it comes to hiking shorts. You will want your fit to be comfortable and functional for the type of hike you are doing.
- Loose Fit: Loose fit shorts offer a lot of room to move around in which makes them ideal for hiking. They are usually made from a lightweight material and will help keep you cool during your hike.
- Regular Fit: Regular fit shorts are not as roomy as loose fit shorts but they will not be as tight. They are incredibly comfortable and the regular waistband helps keep them in place while you hike.
- Tight Fit: Tight fit shorts are made to be worn firmly on your waist. They will not move while you hike and offer more support than regular fit shorts.
Hi-rise vs. Maximal Hi-Rise
When it comes to hiking shorts, there are two different options when deciding on a waistline type. You can either go with a high waist or low-waisted shorts.
- Maximal Hi-Rise: The maximal hi-rise is an incredibly popular option when it comes to hiking shorts. They are similar to high-waisted jeans and will give you a slimming silhouette while also giving you some extra support. They come in many different materials and styles so you will be able to find the perfect shorts for your next hike or outdoor activity.
- Hi-Rise: A hi-rise short is not quite as popular but they are just as functional. They offer the same support and slimming silhouette but they have a higher waistline which makes them ideal for women with bigger waists.
What to avoid: Avoid shorts that are too tight of a fit or shorts that do not offer the proper length. Both can be uncomfortable and will not be functional for your hike.
Hiking shorts come with many different features and futures. Some of the most common features and futures include:
- Pockets: Pockets are a great feature to have on hiking shorts. They allow you to store any items that you may need while hiking such as your wallet, phone, or camera.
- Reflective patches: Reflective patches help keep you safe while hiking at night. They are usually found on the back of shorts and reflect light which helps keep you visible to drivers.
- Mesh lining: Mesh fabric is a great feature that allows ventilation and keeps your legs cool during hiking. It is usually found on the inside of shorts to help keep you cool during your hike.
- Waterproofing: Waterproof hiking shorts are ideal if you plan on hiking during the spring or fall. They will protect your legs from any moisture that comes from snow, rain, and mud which makes them both functional and comfortable.
- Breathability: Breathable shorts are great for hiking during hot weather since they allow your legs to stay cool while you hike. They are usually lightweight, made from a thin material, and have mesh linings on the inside of shorts to allow ventilation.
- Zippers: Zips are also a great feature to have on hiking shorts. They allow you to adjust the length of your legs which will give you more comfort when hiking.
- Drawstrings: Drawstrings are also a great feature to have on your hiking shorts. They allow you to adjust the fit of your shorts so they are not too loose or tight.
- Waistband: The waistband is a very important feature on the best hiking shorts since they will help keep your shorts in place and prevent them from falling.
- Water resistance: Water resistance is a great feature to have on hiking shorts since it will help keep you dry during your hike.
Hiking shorts come with many different closure options which include:
- Zippers: Zips are a great option for closure and they allow you to adjust the length of your shorts.
- Drawstrings: Drawstrings are also a great option for closure on hiking shorts since they allow you to adjust the fit.
- Buttons: Buttons are another option for closure and they can be found on both high-waisted and low-waisted hiking shorts.
- Velcro: A velcro is also a popular option for closure and it allows you to adjust the fit of your shorts.
- Buttons: Buttons are also a great option for closure on your hiking shorts and they can be found on both high-waisted and low-waisted options.
- Hook and loop closures: Hook and loops are other options for closure on your shorts however they can be difficult to close and open.
- Snaps: Snaps are a popular choice for closure on hiking shorts however they can be difficult to fasten when in a hurry.
What to Avoid When Choosing your Hiking Shorts
- Do not choose hiking shorts that do not offer the proper fit. They will be uncomfortable and you won’t enjoy your hike as much.
- You also want to avoid shorts that are too short. Shorts that end above the knee cap will not provide you with proper coverage and they can be dangerous especially if your hike involves any hiking trails.
- You also want to avoid shorts that are too tight since they will cause discomfort and you won’t be able to enjoy your hike.
- It is best to avoid shorts that are too loose since they will be baggy and can get caught on trees or branches while hiking.
How to Wear Them
You can wear hiking shorts in many different ways depending on the kind of style you are looking for. Some popular styles include:
- Cropped: Cropped hiking shorts are another great style to have and they are typically worn shorter than most hiking shorts.
- Hiking Style: Hiking style is another popular way of wearing shorts. They are typically worn longer than most other styles and they have lots of pockets to store all your belongings.
- Pant Style: Pant style is another way of wearing hiking shorts and they are typically worn longer than any other style.
- Swimsuit: Hiking shorts can also be worn as swimsuit bottoms; they are typically worn shorter than most other styles and can be paired with a cute bikini top.
- Baggy: Baggy hiking shorts are another style to wear and they can be worn long or short depending on your preference.
- Knee Length: Knee-length is another style you can wear and this type of hiking shorts typically have a hem that falls right above your knee. They are worn shorter than most other styles and can be paired with a tank top or t-shirt.
- Capri: Capris are another style of hiking shorts that typically fall right above your ankles. They are typically worn shorter than most other styles and can be paired with a tank top or t-shirt/crop top.
What to Wear them With
- Hiking shorts are designed for many different styles so they can be paired with just about anything depending on your personal style. Some popular styles of clothes to wear with hiking shorts are:
- Denim Jacket or Vest: A denim jacket is a great way to layer with your hiking shorts. A denim jacket will also give you another layer of warmth if it is cold out and can be paired with just about anything.
- Tank-Top: Tank tops are another great way to pair your best hiking shorts with. They can be paired alone or layered under a cardigan, sweater, or blazer.
- Belt: Belts are another great way to layer with your hiking shorts depending on the outfit you want to make. They can be paired with just about anything and will allow you to create the style that best fits your personal preference.
- Flip-Flops: Flip-flops are another great way to style your best hiking shorts. They can be paired with just about any outfit and will always make you look ready for summer.
- Cropped Sweater: Cropped sweaters are another great style to wear with your best hiking shorts; they can be worn together or layered with a tank top, t-shirt, or blouse.
- Cropped Blazer: Crops are another great way to layer with your best hiking shorts; they can be paired together or layered under a denim jacket, sweater, or blazer.
Care and Maintenance
Hiking shorts are usually made from synthetic materials which can be washed in your washing machine however you will want to use the delicate cycle so you do not damage your shorts. It is best to hang dry your hiking shorts since they will last longer when hung instead of put in the dryer.
Q. When is it appropriate to wear hiking shorts?
A. It is appropriate to wear hiking shorts during the summer and springtime.
Q. What is a good length for hiking shorts?
A. Hiking shorts should end at least two inches above your knee cap to ensure proper coverage while still maintaining comfortability when wearing them during hikes or other outdoor activities. They can also be longer depending on your personal preference.
Q. Are hiking shorts appropriate to wear in winter?
A. Hiking shorts are not usually worn during the winter because they are designed for summertime use and can be uncomfortable when it is cold out. They may also make you more susceptible to catching a cold if you do not have proper layers on.
Q. What colors do best-hiking shorts come in?
A. Depending on the style of your best hiking shorts, they can be worn in a variety of different colors and patterns depending on your personal preference or what you are going for during that particular season. Some examples include short brown/tan khaki, white, black, denim blue/jeans style.
Q. Are hiking shorts made of cotton?
A. Hiking shorts are typically a combination between nylon and spandex or some other similar material to make them more durable, flexible, and easier for you to move around during your hikes or outdoor activities. They can also be made out of various other materials depending on the style.
Q. Are hiking shorts comfortable?
A. Hiking shorts are made with comfortability in mind, especially when you are out on your hikes or other outdoor activities for extended periods of time so they should not be uncomfortable under any circumstances. They have various stretchy bands and materials to ensure that even if the material around them stretches it won’t become too tight for you to wear.
Q. How do I clean my hiking shorts?
A. Hiking shorts are made with various materials and fabrics that can be cleaned by hand or in a washing machine depending on the material they are made out of and then hung up to dry naturally. If needed, they can also be hung up to dry naturally or put into a drier on low heat after being washed.
Q. How do I care for my hiking shorts?
A. Hiking shorts are designed with comfortability and durability in mind so they should not need any extra special attention when it comes to caring for them, however, you can always spot clean your hiking shorts to make sure they look as clean and fresh as possible.
Q. Are hiking shorts waterproof?
A. Depending on the style of your best hiking shorts, some may be waterproof but most are not since they are designed for use during warmer months when it is more likely that you will get wet from either sweat or other weather conditions.
Q. How high should hiking shorts ride?
A. Hiking shorts can be worn at waist level or they can be worn lower depending on the style you are trying to create and your personal preference.
Q. What kind of material should my hiking shorts be made out of?
A. It is best to wear your favorite athletic pants in a breathable fabric with wicking properties such as cotton or polyester materials. You also want to avoid wearing heavy fabrics that can get hot and uncomfortable when it is warm outside.
Q. Are hiking shorts designed for men or women?
A. Hiking shorts can be worn by both men and women depending on the style they are wearing them in and what best fits their personal preference. You will want to avoid short styles that aren’t flattering with your body type; you should also choose a style that you feel comfortable and confident wearing.
Q.What are some ways to wear hiking shorts?
A. Some popular styles of clothes to wear with hiking shorts are jeans, tank tops, t-shirts/crop tops, belts, flip flops, jackets or vests overtop them for extra warmth in cold weather, cropped vests/sweaters/blazers overtop them for extra warmth in cold or wet weather, and tights underneath to create a fun layered look.